mercoledì 16 dicembre 2009

Domotex By Train! Go Green in 2010!

I decided to make the commitment in 2010 not to travel by plane. As someone who travels a lot for my work I thought this would be not only a great challenge, but also a serious commitment to reducing my carbon footprint. Instead of flying to Domotex 2010, which involves somehow getting from Surrey to Stansted airport for a 6.05 a.m flight (about two hours on a train), I decided to get the train the whole way. With the ICE bullet train in Germany and the Eurostar connecting London and western Europe, the whole journey time ends up being no longer than 7 hours, in which I can curl up with tons of leg room and a good book, instead of being packed like a sardine into an easyjet or ryanair tin can. Plus I avoid shuttling to and from airports as Hannover Hauptbahnhof is about 20 mins from the exhibition grounds and there's a free shuttle bus.
Plus, I save burning up up tons and tons of CO2!!!

As the train journy does cost a bit more, I am reducing my overall travel costs by staying at the International Youth hostel instead of a hotel, which offers a bed and breakfast for 32 euros a night. Businessmen may not like the hostel set up, but as a single girl travelling alone, it suits me just fine.

It can be done, so if your boss insists on you flying, take a stand!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento